CU Doctors are here for you!
Our clinics are open and able to serve you during this time for urgent in-person visits as well as virtual health services. Please call our clinics directly to schedule an appointment for both in person and virtual health.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our patients, their family members, as well as our health care team. To honor this commitment we have implemented the following procedures:
- Non-urgent medical appointments should be converted to telehealth visits or rescheduled if telehealth is not feasible.
- Please bring your own face mask or covering to wear. Patients checking in must tell staff if they have: A fever, cold symptoms (cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath); Flu symptoms (fever, chills, body aches, etc.).
- Adult patients may be allowed one asymptomatic person (at least 17 years old) for support; however, we reserve the right to deem a support person unnecessary at any time.
- Pediatric patients may be allowed one asymptomatic adult (i.e. parent, guardian) for support.
- For pediatric patients, please check the Children's Hospital Colorado website for updated COVID-19 related patient information.
Please call us about your current health care concerns. Please take care in following current public health guidelines. Please visit the Colorado COVID-19 website, for more information.
Thank you for doing your part to help keep everyone safe and healthy!
Muhammad Aftab, MD
Assistant Professor, Surgery-Cardiothoracic
Assistant Professor in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Colorado
Conditions & Treatments
Surgery, Board Certification
Surgery - Thoracic and Cardiac, Board Certification
- Heart and Circulation
Heart Valve Diseases
Peripheral Artery Disease
Adult Cardiac Surgery
Heart Transplant Surgery
Open Heart Surgery
Clinical Interest for Patients
My clinical interests in adult cardiac surgery include surgery for thoracic aortic aneurysm, open and endovascular thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic repair, heart valve surgery, high-risk reoperation surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery and percutaneous valve treatment. I believe in a patient centered approach by combining the traditional open cardiac and vascular surgery with the cutting edge catheter-based interventions and endovascular surgery to provide the best outcomes for my patients. Some of the areas of my clinical interest are coronary artery bypass grafting, aortic and mitral valve repair, arrhythmias surgery, hybrid aortic repair and heart transplantation. I treat the patients with bicuspid aortic valve and other connective-tissue disorders such as Marfan, Loeys-Dietz syndrome and Ehlers-Dalos syndromes.
I operate on the entire spectrum of adult cardiac and aortic surgery. Some of the areas of my particular clinical interest in cardiac surgery include surgery for the thoracic aortic aneurysms including aortic root surgery, ascending aortic and aortic arch replacement, thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair, endovascular aortic surgery, coronary artery bypass grafting, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, heart valve surgery including mitral and aortic valve repair, percutaneous valve interventions, arrhythmia surgery and heart transplantation.