CU Doctors are here for you!
Our clinics are open and able to serve you during this time for urgent in-person visits as well as virtual health services. Please call our clinics directly to schedule an appointment for both in person and virtual health.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our patients, their family members, as well as our health care team. To honor this commitment we have implemented the following procedures:
- Non-urgent medical appointments should be converted to telehealth visits or rescheduled if telehealth is not feasible.
- Please bring your own face mask or covering to wear. Patients checking in must tell staff if they have: A fever, cold symptoms (cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath); Flu symptoms (fever, chills, body aches, etc.).
- Adult patients may be allowed one asymptomatic person (at least 17 years old) for support; however, we reserve the right to deem a support person unnecessary at any time.
- Pediatric patients may be allowed one asymptomatic adult (i.e. parent, guardian) for support.
- For pediatric patients, please check the Children's Hospital Colorado website for updated COVID-19 related patient information.
Please call us about your current health care concerns. Please take care in following current public health guidelines. Please visit the Colorado COVID-19 website, for more information.
Thank you for doing your part to help keep everyone safe and healthy!
Samuel Phinney, MD
Sr. Instructor, Surgery-GI, Trauma, and Endocrine Surgery
General Surgeon, Acute Care Surgeon
Patient Safety and Quality Committee Representative
Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee Representative
Utilization Management Committee Representative
Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Working Group, CU System
Conditions & Treatments
Surgery, Board Certification
DaVinci Robotic Surgery SI, XI platforms, Specialized Training
Minimally Invasive Surgery, Specialized Training
Trauma and Acute Care
Clinical Interest for Patients
My passion and experience are focused on process improvement for surgical patients emphasizing safety, efficacy, and rapid recovery through minimally invasive surgery and narcotic avoidance.
Grounded in the elective relationship with patients, I work to optimize patients before surgery, select the right operation for the patient's needs and interests, and execute a technically perfect procedure with an emphasis on multimodality pain control and close communication.
In my spare time, I enjoy running, skiing and watching videos of robotic surgery. With the arrival of snow I love backcountry skiing. This year I look forward to taking my wife and two boys skiing at Winter Park.
I volunteer mentoring medical and premedical students